Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Trying to be a better shop

One of the things that we always try to do as a small business is to get better. How do we do this? Well we try to survey customers and truly listen to their feedback. We also have lots of store meetings where we toss around ideas. Lately, I have felt one of our "weaknesses" is our group runs. We have a great group of folks who come out and run with us but generally it seems like folks who are a little bit quicker are the ones who show up. And, when we have had folks who run at a slower pace, it is easy for them to get left behind. Therefore, we seem to get some new folks that will come once or twice but weren't really getting a "group run" and we then wouldn't see them again on Wednesday evenings.
So, I couldn't have been more thrilled when Laura Kantor, who has always been one of our strongest store ambassadors, stepped up and wanted to lead a "mellower" group run for folks that can't/don't want to run a 8:00 pace. This group will more likely be at a pace more like 10:00-12:00 minute miles. Also, if you don't know Laura's story, let me give you a quick recap. Over the last few years, Laura went from not being able to run a minute or two at a time to now, being an accomplished ultrarunner, who has finished races of 31 and 50 miles! Along the way, she has lost well over 100 pounds. However, the part of Laura's story that is the most impressive is how she has inspired so many others to become runners and to believe in themselves. I think what attracts many people to Laura is that (I think) she would admit that becoming both a runner and losing a great deal of weight has not always been a smooth or easy endeavor. She has had tremendous "highs" but has also had much personal doubt and a few setbacks along the way. I think for that reason alone, many folks can really relate to her and that is how she inspires others. If you want to read more about her successes and struggles, she does a great job of writing about them on her blog.
Anyway, so those of you who have been intimidated of a "group run" from a running shop because you're worried you'll be left behind, that is now something you don't need to worry about! We'll have 2 groups for you to run with.
Now is where we ask a favor of you! Come out and run with us! I hope to give Laura lots of folks to run with. So, come join us on Wednesday evenings at 6PM! And, stick around for yoga at 7PM! The run is free and yoga is just $5.00
Hopefully, this is another step to becoming a better neighborhood running store.
Rod B.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you! I've always been to intimidated to do a group run, and this slower pace is perfect for me. I'll give it a try.

Nora said...

Great. I didn't know that this was even something to worry about, because I've never been to one of the runs, but I really mean to, I really will make it one of these days. I love the idea and appreciate the push that this post is giving me.

Kathy said...

This is great! I have to admit it will make it a bit more approachable! I'm not getting any faster! Thanks guys!

Jane said...

I'm so glad to hear this! I was coming to the group runs, but I was feeling so discouraged about always being left behind! Now I'm going to make an effort to come back! Thank you!